Monday, September 22, 2008

Gymboree


This logo was created by Michael Osborne Design. The firm was mentioned in Computer Arts magazine a couple of months ago. I tried to identify the font for GYMBORee, first by typing the words out in different fonts, and then by taking it to What the Font. Neither worked, which is not surprising, because my guess is that this was custom-made for the logo. The G, Y, M, and the B all look like a squashed slightly more angular version of Gill Sans, while the rest of the letters seem like squashed Helvetica. Answer: My believe is that this is the long lost child of the two-- Gillvetica Anorexica. No? I challenge you to make a better guess! Bottom line. I think the wordmark is fun and energetic, but it achieves its quirkiness with subtle variation in type and case rather than over-the-top imagery. This is refreshing in a children's brand.

THIS JUST IN: I believe Bureau Grotesque one three comes pretty close to the logo type. See for yourselves.

1 comment:

Miriam Martincic said...

I think your initial guess for font identity, a custom designed font, is probably right. That said, you've named it.

Really, I love these subtle variations and how much they matter.