Saturday, November 29, 2008

JWT

JWT
Communication Arts

I read a profile of one of the art directors of for JWT in Communication Arts and decided to visit the firm's site. I like the type, the colors, the Swiss layout, and even the scrolling navigation bar. Why? Oh, Why? the flashing buttons?! Make them stop! Otherwise, I quite approve.

As an aside, I looked at their JWT Now page and read about their "Lead India Campaign " for the Times of India. I still can't make up my mind about whether it was superbly inspiring or spine-chillingly sinister. The campaign won the Grand Prix at Cannes this year. It started with the Times of India running a full page ad inciting for social change. Celebrities got involved, mass demonstrations were started (the reel doesn't make clear whether they were incited by the campaign itself or if it was a result of grassroot activism). After a long chain of events they had a reality tv competition (American idol-style where the audience got to vote through IMS) in which eight social activists competed for a sum to fund their cause, a scholarship to the JFK School of Global Leadership, and money to fund their campaign as Prime Minister of India!!!!

Prime Minsiter of INDIA!!!! Doesn't India have nuclear capabilities? Doesn't it have like triple the population of the US?! I'm all for ad agencies using their persuasive powers for activism and social change, and I understand that a certain amount of media bias is acceptbale and inevitable, but when the largest English-speaking newspaper in the world is blatantly attempting to create a world leader, shouldn't we be very frightened? VERY FRIGHTENED? Maybe I'm being paranoid. What do you think?

No comments: